November 16, 2009

Her Parting Words Reverberate



"See that girl? She has cancer, it's leukemia. But her parents are fortunate, because she is a fighter! Please, take care of her!"

These were my daughter's words as she kept her elder brother Joseph awake during the wee hours of April 17, 2008. Though she talked in bursts and with perceptible incoherence, it was clear that she was talking about herself. On the evening of that day, she expired. Leukemia won over her body.

For months after her death until now, I allotted time to help kids with cancer. It wasn't a strange routine since we'd been visiting cancer kids together when she was alive and okay. Now, mostly by myself or with my wife, I volunteer for Kythe Foundation at the Davao Medical Center (Kythe provides psycho-social support to kids with cancer). At times, I visit and encourage parents and their sick kid whom I know, or those referred to me by my daughter's hema-oncologist. It's usually a brief visit, a touch and some minutes of sharing. Whenever I am able, I shared whatever I can.

One day in April or a year after my daughter passed away, I received a call. It was a request to serve as volunteer for a Manila-based foundation, the Cancer Warriors. It was the start of a more organized assistance to indigent pediatric cancer patients. A Davao-based hema-oncologist identifies her most needy patients and refers them to me. I require them to submit pertinent documents and recommend them for assistance consisting of maintenance and chemotherapy medicines on a monthly basis.

Starting with one patient in April, three were added in June, another three in August and one last month. We are assisting a total of eight (8) kids now.

Two weeks ago, I received an email from a pediatric-oncologist who is known for her bull-strong advocacies to help pediatric cancer patients. She just arrived from St. Jude Children's Hospital, the leading research hospital seeking cure for childhood cancer. She wanted to see me and my wife for a "very important matter". I knew it has to do with cancer kids and I knew it has to do with passion for life.

It was, it is, it will be. She shared a vision - a very compelling one. But a very tough one, too. One that is much, much bigger than life. It's for kids stricken with cancer, and how to help and care for them.

My mind wandered, and flashed back: "See that girl? She has cancer, it's leukemia. But her parents are fortunate, because she is a fighter! Please, take care of her!"

I realized one thing - kids care so much about their parents, too, even when they are sick. That's why they fight back against their illness.

My daughter's parting words - how loud and pleasant do they reverberate. Join me!! Let's take care of cancer kids.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML)

By the time little Katherine received a cord blood transplant from a donor, she had endured multiple rounds of chemotherapy, hundreds of medications, and countless procedures in the increasingly desperate attempt to cure her of Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). Her parents had endured the pain of watching their tiny daughter suffer while a dedicated team of medical professionals searched every resource in the United States for their last hope: a suitable stem cell match. Three years after that miraculous match was found Katherine is a healthy bright-eyed toddler.

http://cordadvantage.com/success-stories/20-success-stories/96-acute-myelogenous-leukemia-aml.html

Anonymous said...

Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML)

By the time little Katherine received a cord blood transplant from a donor, she had endured multiple rounds of chemotherapy, hundreds of medications, and countless procedures in the increasingly desperate attempt to cure her of Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). Her parents had endured the pain of watching their tiny daughter suffer while a dedicated team of medical professionals searched every resource in the United States for their last hope: a suitable stem cell match. Three years after that miraculous match was found Katherine is a healthy bright-eyed toddler.


http://cordadvantage.com/success-stories/20-success-stories/96-acute-myelogenous-leukemia-aml.html

Unknown said...

Hi,I am mario from gensan city,leukemia survivor.I created my blog and share my story as sruvivor of cancer!Thanks for your blog,it inspires more people especially cancer patients,survivor and their family.This is my blogsite : http://cancersurvivorstory.blogspot.com/