May 13, 2007

A Year After Diagnosis

"Yeahhhh!!!"

This is Yam's cry, a year after she was diagnosed of leukemia.

Since leaving the hospital on October 19 last year, Yam's recovery had been steady. Last March, her biopsy and engraftment analysis showed her blood system is normal and well. After her routine check up last month, we visited two leukemia patients and she confidently encouraged them by relating her own ordeal, and saying, "Kaya mo yan" (You will overcome).

From February, she started getting back to normal activities with care. She attended her Ate Janice's graduation ceremony, had her first mall tour, ate her favorite curry beef rice in a restaurant ("I owe myself lots of servings of this food, mwahahaha"), visited a mountain resort, and helped host a family at home.

On May 12, she received her report of grades and immediately enrolled for classes in June. She spends time bantering with her sister, watching music video, anime, and reading blogs. We wish she'd have her own blog in due time.

The difficult times she underwent are gone now and we can only thank God, friends, relatives, her physicians, nurses and many others who extended help and prayed for her healing and well-being.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi! I just read your story about yam.I was actually looking for homestudy programs and came across the story.I saw yam's picture at dra.Jeannie's clinic that's why I recognized her right away.My son has anemia secondary to Kawasaki Disease which was diagnosed last April 2007.We often visit Dra. Ong too and she has actually been our pediatrician , my children's actually.I have 3 kids.My eldest,9 yrs old who has the kawsaki,my second son,8, who had platelet dysfunction 3 years ago(under dra jeannie also) and my youngest is a girl, 4 years old now.All of them have heart diseases,that's the not so good news...hehehe..but nothing much to worry about coz theyre well taken cared of by Dr. Sheldon Paragas , their pedia-cardio at davao doc.
Anyways ,i was deeply touched by your story .Just wanna let you know that somehow , even if I don't know yam personally , I am so happy she has finally surpassed her ordeal..Please say hi to her from me.I would often see her picture(twas sort of an email) everytime we visit Dra.Ong's clinic..
Again , let me share the joys with you too.My son who has kawasaki is also on the road to recovery..we've also been through a lot last summer,though nothing really compared to what you've been through.
I hope to see Yam someday.
Godbless.

Mrs. Clea Buenafe PiƱol
djclea_dance@yahoo.com

j bayogan said...

thanks clea. kids are angels as yam had been to us. i'm sure your 3 kids are to you. by the way, it would be nice if we can communicate. our davao phone number is 2969708.